Phone: +44 (0)20 8943 5333

or click here to email Tim Cheers

Property Insurance FAQ’s

What is the minimum level of security my building should have?

The minimum standard of security will depend on the types of doors and windows your property has.  If your property does not meet the minimum standards you should let us know.

Minimum standard of security are as follows:

  • Final Exit Doors is fitted with at least a 5 lever mortice deadlock
  • Patio Doors are fitted with key-operated security locks to the top and bottom of the frame at diagonally opposing corners.
  • Fire Exit Doors must be secured by means of a panic bar and hinge bolts fitted top and bottom
  • All opening ground floor windows, basement and other accessible windows are to be fitted with a key operated, metal locking device

How will I know what security my building will need?

Your property will need to be able to meet minimum security requirements.  You may also be required to increase the physical security measures with an alarm or other security in some instances.

I don’t have an alarm on my property can I still get insurance?

Whether an alarm is required on your property will depend on your individual details.  There will be circumstances when an alarm is not required and you can get insurance.

Do you offer a new for old policy?

Most Home Contents policies provide cover on a ‘new for old’ basis.  However, a deduction will be made for wear and tear in any claim settlement involving clothing or any item or part which is not replaced or repaired.

Does home insurance cover me for accidents?

Ask us if you require Accidental Damage Cover for buildings, as this will provide cover for accidental damage to service pipes and cables and fixed glass and sanitary ware.  It will also cover accidents such as putting your foot through the ceiling.

Accidental cover for your home contents will cover home entertainment equipment such as TVs, DVD players and home computers.  It will also cover accidents such as spilling paint on the carpet and breaking your bathroom sanitary ware.

Are my possessions covered outside the home or when I go on holiday?

Ask us for Personal Possessions cover against theft, loss or accidental damage anywhere in the world.

What are the rules on my contents cover if I want to work from home?

If you are running a business from home, check with us on the type of business and we can usually cover your business equipment and office equipment in the home.  This includes items such as computers, printers, fax machines and photocopiers.  We would also need to know if you have customers or suppliers visiting your premises.

Do you provide cover to find the source of a water leak?

Ask us for trace and access cover, and feel secure that you are covered if you have to remove expensive wall furnishings and flooring when accessing the source of a  water leak or burst pipe.

Send email to Tim Cheers



Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your telephone number (required)


Your Message

Please enter the code: